Community

Through the years, July 20

50 years ago July 26, 1972 The Cassville R-4 School District board of directions met Monday night and adopted their 1972-73 budget, which called for expenditures of $1,007.631. Johnnie Saunders was elected president of the Southwest Saddle Club at Washburn, organized last Friday.
Read MoreThrough the years, July 20

Pet of the Week

Meet Sparky, the Haven of the Ozarks Pet of the Week. Sparky is a very loving and loyal boy. He does great with kids, other dogs and cats. He is housebroken, crate trained, up to date on his vaccinations, neutered and microchipped. He’s a gentle giant at 97 pounds and is estimated to be about 8 years old. For more information, call 417-835- 3647 or meet him at the Haven, open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day of the week. Contributed photo
Read MorePet of the Week

Chuck Terrill: Drawing the line

Just like you, I am patriotic, through and through. I gladly stand and repeat “The Pledge of Allegiance.” I place my right hand over my heart and say, “one nation under God with liberty, and justice for all.” There is no comma, no pause, after the word “God.”
Read MoreChuck Terrill: Drawing the line

Through the years, July 13

This file photo was taken in July 1992. A Friday night program held at the Cassville School was billed as “A Hairy Leg Contest.” You might not recognize the contestants who were shown in the above picture in full costume. These “cuties” shown in the front row, from left, were: Pete Landstad and Jon Horner. Back row: Les Chapman; Michael LeCompte; Nolan McNeill and Jerry Marple. Horner, chairman of the event, was judged first, Chapman, second, and Landstad, third.
Read MoreThrough the years, July 13

Through the years, June 28

50 years ago July 5, 1972 Cassville Football Coach Ron Cole is planning a pre-season football camp for this year’s Wildcats to be held during the next two weeks. Assisting him will be coaches Danny Lynch, Charles Pitts and Heno Head.
Read MoreThrough the years, June 28

Pet of the Week

Meet Binnie Taylor, the Haven of the Ozarks Pet of the Week. Binnie had a terrible start in life, but that just means he’ll appreciate it even more when he finds the perfect family to love him. He’s a bit timid and needs someone to help him build his confidence, but he’s doing better all the time. He never had any accidents while in his foster home. Binnie is good in a crate, loves toys and gets along with both cats and other dogs. He gets a daily supplement for hip dysplasia and would really benefit from an indoor home with a comfy bed. His estimated date of birth is June 12, 2021. For more information, call 417-835-3647 or meet him at the Haven, open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day of the week. Contributed photo
Read MorePet of the Week