Through the Years, Aug. 19

50 years ago
Aug. 25, 1976
— Exeter Enrollment Up Over Previous Year
Exeter, the first district in Barry County to commence classes, has an increase of two pupils enrolled at the start of classes compared to last year. Superintendent John Black reported this week the total students on campus with the Monday start was 278, compared to 276 last year. A breakdown of the 186 in K-8 classes has the following: Kindergarten 24, first 15, second 23, third 19, fourth 19, fifth 21, sixth 15, seventh 23 and eighth 27. High school enrollment, total 92, is broken as follows: freshmen 25, sophomores 30, juniors 19 and seniors 18. Black said the district was still anxious to move into a new classroom building being completed. Classes have also been rearranged in the elementary department because of storm damage to the building roof two weeks ago.
— Tourism Figures Jump In Pre-Labor Day Report
As the vacationland of the Barry County Ozarks prepares for Labor Day, the last summer holiday and braces for the Flaming Fall Review, most existing records on visitor numbers are being broken. Roaring River Sate Park and the portion of Table Rock Lake from the central area to Beaver Dam are included in report figures. For instance, fisherman numbers at Roaring River are due for a healthy increase this year, according, to Charles Curry, hatchery superintendent. During the period March 1 through August 23, a total of 64,775 tags haye been sold. This compares to 59,936 from March 1 through the month of August last year. John Harden, park superintendent, said camping unit numbers last year through August 31 totaled 18,585 for this department in the park To-date this year 19,441 units have been recorded. Total visitors in the park for the same report figures have 368,095 last year but down slightly to 336,460 to-date. This figure could catch-up or show an increase by the time another 10 days pass. Jim Rogers, accommodation concessionaire at the park, reports total use of motel and cabin units through the pre-Labor Day holiday last year had 15,705 guests. This year, again as Monday, the number stood at 16,503. Mrs. Francis Dell, restaurant concessionaire, said this division of the park was experiencing good increases in patronage this year. This past weekend was among one of the busiest for Mr. and Mrs. Dell since opening weekend. Table Rock Lake, which had some drop-off during the spring months, mostly due to weather conditions, experienced healthy increases during the summer months. Many resorts reported capacity patronage during July and August. Public use areas followed the same pattern. Throughout the vacation-land, tourist facilities are making preparations during the last week of August for the big influx of people into the area for Labor Day. Then, the next rush of people to the Ozarks will be mid-October for the Flaming Fall Review of color change in the forests. Observers, including Jim Roles, ranger of the Cassville district of Mark Twain National Forest, expect a bountiful show this year due to heavy foliage on the trees. Roles pointed i toward ample supplies of moisture in this area during the late spring and early summer as creating the situation that will mean deep color transitions as fall rolls around. Roles places the color start at October 20. Generally, the Cassville Chamber of Commerce and associations concerned with the lake communities of Shell Knob, Viola, Golden and Eagle Rock, are predicting a banner year overall for the recreation area. Like the Ozark Playgrounds Association said this week, “Nobody can hold a candle to the Ożarks when it comes to activities and sights in the autumn months.
40 years ago
Aug. 27, 1986
— Enrollments, Projections Put Pupil Numbers On Increase
If enrollments of schools underway and projections for pupil numbers on those campuses yet to start are correct, Barry County will show an increase in student numbers. The new school year started Thursday for a ma-fority or schools. Cassville opened classes this (Wednesday) morning. Monett and Shell Knob will begin the new year after Labor Day holiday. Figures indicate this year’s enrollment will run near the 5,025 number, which would be an overal increase of 31 trom last year. The 1985 start enrollment stood at 4,994 for first day classes. Of the county’s eight districts, Cassville, Wheaton, Jenkins and Shell Knob either have or are anticipating increases. Reports from those who have started classes included the following: Southwest of Washburn reported a slight decrease in student numbers with 703 on campus this year. The figure stood at 718 at the beginning of last year, reports superintendent Richard Reavis. This year’s breakdown of students at Southwest had 364 in kindergarten through sixth grade, 114 in grades seven and eight, and 225 in high school. Wheaton was one of the districts growing, with 378 pupils, compared to 302 last year. Superintendent Sheldon Buxton said there were 232 in grades kindergarten through seventh grade and 146 in eight through Exeter’s enrollment is down five pupils at opening, said superintendent Marvin Sprague. This year’s total was 305, compared to 310 at this time last year. The Exeter breakdown had 163 in kindergarten through sixth grade and 142 in grades seven through Purdy had a decrease of about 20 pupils at an early Monday count reported by superintendent Dr. Richard Place. Purdy’s total was 501 this year, compared to 521 at opening last year. The Purdy divisions had 282 in elementary and 219 in high school. Jenkins had a 12-pupil increase for the rural elementary unit. In grades one through eight, the enrollment this year is 88, compared to 76 last year, says principal Charley Moore. In the projection departments, Cassville and Shell Knob are anticipating good increases. Superintendent Dan Bailey said Cassville should have 1,439 in classes for the opening. That would be about 36 above the 1,403. reported at opening last year. Bailey said division reports project kindergarten through fourth grade at 559, grades five through eight in the middle school 405 and high school at 475. Principal Bill Hadlow of Shell Knob projects his enrollment at the 135 level for the rural elementary unit. Last year Shell Knob started the year with 128 enrolled. Figures for the possible increase included using the 1,476 figure of last year for the Monett schools. Dr. Ralph scott, superintendent, said classes would begin Tuesday, September 2. All districts said the initial student numbers could well increase with additional enrollments after the Labor Day holiday. The administrators said it was not uncommon for families to wait until after holiday vacations to enroll youngsters. Monett and Shell Knob are the only county districts following Missouri recommendations for starts after Labor Day. Previous year enrollments indicate county schools have reversed a trend toward fewer school age children experienced several years ago. A review of the numbers include: 1978 – 4,495; 1979 – 4,754; 1980 – 4,736; 1981 – 4,534; 1982 – 4,659; 1983 – 4,772; 1984 – 4,829; and 1985 – 4,994.
— Pool At State Park Delayed In Bid Plan
Plans to open bids on over three-quarters of a million dollars in work at Roaring River State Park September 2 have been delayed. The major number of items will be bid September 4 to avoid the Labor Day weekend, but the swimming pool will be delayed until mid-October. Ken Apperson, regional supervisor for the park, was in Roaring River this week reviewing plans for assorted projects. Apperson said change in design of the pool project resulted in the delay. He said the park system had assurances from Springfield engineers that revisions would be made by September 15 in time for an October 15 award. Boyd Holcomb, park superintendent, said seven other projects would be let on September 4. Expected to cost just under one million dollars, improvements are slanted toward completion and use beginning next year. Assurances that the park would have a pool next season will require targeting Memorial Day weekend for an opening. Apperson said this would be possible through requirements in the contract awarded. Other projects at the park will include total renovation of camp ground two, renovation of all five bath house facilities, projects at lodge to finish exterior work, installation of all electric in camp ground one with paving, paving projects at lodge and old Bass Lake bath house. Further work at Camp Smokey group facility is also planned. Financing the projects is Missouri’s sales tax funds that are divided between the park system and Soil Conservation Service. Pre-bid meetings at Roaring River last week did not attract much contractor interest. Park officials said this was not an indication of lack of bidding interest. The park’s new swimming pool is scheduled to be located across Dry Hollow from the restaurant facilities. The old pool at the Park Lodge was demolished last year, leaving Roaring River without the facility for this entire season. The proposed new pool would be slightly larger than the old 75’x45’, plus providing for a wading pool 12’x24’. A service and concession area would also be constructed. A deck area would be double that of the pool.
30 years ago
Aug. 21, 1996
— “Safe and Sober” DWI campaign nets 197 arrests in Barry County
Barry County was one of five counties in southwest Missouri targeted by the Show-Me Safe and Sober” campaign, a cooperative effort between the Missouri Division of Highway Safety and the Missouri State Highway Patrol to remove intoxicated drivers from Missouri highways. Fourteen “Safe and Sober” operations have been conducted in two different southwest Missouri regions. One region is comprised of Barry, McDonald and Newton counties and a second includes Stone and Taney counties. Each trooper who participates in the project is assigned to one of these regions and works four consecutive days, 12 hours each day. The trooper’s primary objective is the detection and arrest of impaired drivers. Any indicator of impairment observed by the trooper results in a traffic stop and investigation into that driver’s ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. As a result of the Safe and Sober” campaign, there have been a total of 197 arrests made in Barry County through July 5, according to a summary report provided by Highway Patrol Sergeant Terry Moore. Of that total, there were 173 misdemeanor traffic arrests, 21 misdemeanor criminal arrests and three felony arrests. A further breakdown of arrests is as follows: 18, driving while intoxicated; 1, felony DWI; 52, speeding; 7, child restraint; 13, seat belt; 83, miscellaneous traffic violations; 21, misdemeanor criminal arrests; and 2, “other” felony arrests. The “Safe and Sober” campaign in the tri-county region of Barry, McDonald and Newton netted a total of 2,037 arrests and 294 warnings. Of that total, there were 1,840 misdemeanor traffic arrests, 158 misdemeanor criminal arrests and 39 felony arrests. The report shows that there were 197 misdemeanor DWI arrests and 16 felony DWI arrests made during the first 13-weeks of the campaign. According to patrol reports, the majority of drivers arrested on DWIs in the region were in the 30 to 39 age range. Moore said he “Safe and Sober” campaign in Barry County has ended. It continues in Stone and Taney Counties through Labor Day.
— Hillbilly Industrial draws 19 teams to Cassville course
For the 11th year in a row, the Cassville Golf Course played host to the Hillbilly Industrial Golf Tournament, an annual event sponsored by the Cassville Chamber of Commerce, the Industrial Development Corporation and the city of Cassville. This year’s Hillbilly took place on Aug. 15 and 16 with 19 four-man teams competing in the two round, 36-hole tournament. First place honors were captured by the team of Randy Stockton, representing Arning Industries, Randy King, King & King Enterprises, Chip Lawson, First State Bank, and Clark Flanary, representing the chamber. They turned in a score of 128. The second place winners were: Mark Smith, chamber; Tom Van Hooser, SO MO Containers; Gard Gibson, Forest Products; and Chris Pitchek, Peiker Piatchek. They had a two-day total of 129. Third place went to the team of Landon Fletcher, Security Bank, James Bryant, chamber, and Stu Gatley and T. L. Nelson, FASCO. They shot a 131. Other teams are listed below.
• Tom Cardin, C of C; George Kirk, George’s; Richard Beeson, FASCO; and Mike Sharp, Cof C
• Gary Hayward, Arning Industries; Wayne Hendrix, C of C; Jerry Finley, GTE; and Michael Piatchek, Peiker Piatchek.
• Stan Kelley, Boatmen’s Bank; Rick Boyer, GTE; Jim Peiker, Peiker Piatchek; and Bob Garrison, FASCO.
• Donnie Treadwell, C of C; Mark McNay, SO MO Containers; Gary Cooper, Cooper Equipment; and Galen Shoemaker, Missouri Gas Energy.
• Fred Arning, Arning Industries; Phil McElroy, George’s; Marv Vandekieft, Ruan Leasing; and Lynn Hoover, Forest Products.
• J. B. Nations, C of C; John Hendricks, Luck “E” Strike; Bob Mitchell, C of C; and Byron Tucker, C of C.
• Gary Fields, Security Bank; Ken House, House Handle Co.; Chuck Willard, Thorco; and Mike Cooper, George’s.
• Bob Allen, C of C; Rick Harvey, GTE; Mark Cooper, Thorco; and Mark Bromley, George’s.
• Mike Schlichtman, Cassville Democrat; James Wilson, Fowler Equipment; Dave Shelley, FASCO; and Curt Roland, Thorco.
• Steve Chasteen, FASCO; Tom Arnold, GTE; Jon White, Boatmen’s Bank; and Jon Horner, Commerce Bank.
• Dennis Ledgerwood, FASCO; Doug Miller, George’s; Howard Keister, GTE; and David Cole, C of C.
• Mike Riehn, C of C; Dave Dewitt, Schlumberger; David Howard, Thorco; and Rick Neill, C of C.
• Truman Baker, Boatmen’s Bank; Carl Bell, George’s; Doyle Cooper, Cooper Equipment; and J. C. Duncan, C of C.
• J. C. Gillispie, George’s; Danny Vanzandt, Luck “E” Strike; Jimmy Stephens, C of C; and John Starchman, C of C.
• Jim Fohn, C of C; John Walters, C of C; Don Klein, Thorco; and Ron Richardson, C of C.
• Gary Schaffer, Luck “E” Strike; Terry Stone, BFI; Bill Brandenburger, BFI; and Don Reynolds, Cof C. The Hillbilly is organized each year by a special golf tournament committee. This year’s committee members were Bob Mitchell, Bob Allen, Fred Arning, Stan Kelley Mark Smith. They were assisted by Sonja Chasteen, the chamber’s managing secretary. Mitchell said the tournament is put on each year as a “thank you to the area’s job providers.”.







