Man hospitalized after Purdy fire

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Accidental blaze caused by smoking with medical oxygen present

A Purdy man suffered severe burns on Tuesday night after an accidental fire caused by smoking with medical oxygen present.

Nick Mercer, Purdy Fire Protection District chief, said the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. at a home in the 700 block of East Washington in Purdy.

“The first arriving rescue company found a single story residence with smoke presenting from the rear doorway,” Mercer said in a press release. “The crew entered the structure and found the fire contained to a single room in a small area and was extinguished with an extinguisher and then cooled with a water can. The fire was found to be accidental and involved a subject in the residence smoking with medical home oxygen present.”

The resident of the home, a 63-year-old male, was found outside of the structure with severe burns. He was transported from the scene by Barry Lawrence County Ambulance District crews to the hospital for further care.

Purdy Fire crews were assisted on scene by the Butterfield Fire Protection District. Crews from Monett Rural Fire Protection District and Monett City Fire Department were also responding and were cancelled en route.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: