Purdy firefighters battle fire in plugged chimney
Passing motorist spots fire, enabling quick response
Purdy firefighters quickly stopped a flue fire at a home approximately one and a half miles east of Purdy on Highway C on Monday, shortly after 6 p.m.
The fire was initially spotted by a passing motorist. Purdy Fire Chief Nick Mercer said the chimney had a significant plug in it which firefighters spent some time dislodging, including use of the pole employed on the roof. Mercer said crews try to not dump an excessive amount of water down a chimney to avoid ruining the chimney lining.
Monett and Butterfield firefighters were summoned for mutual aid on the initial call, but called off once the fire was isolated. Purdy responded with two engines, a rescue truck and 11 firefighters.
Firefighters remained on scene an hour and a half. Mercer reminded area residents to have their wood stoves checked and regularly inspected. Firefighters had to use power tools to cut away part of the stove in order to reach the fire.