Words that inspire
At the recent Cassville High School Academic Awards Banquet, the crowd was wowed by a speech given by Cassville _ grade teacher Sue Cavness who was named 2004-05 Teacher of the Year. If Sue ever decides to retire from teaching (which we hope she never does), she could be very successful as a motivational speaker. My oldest son, Nick, was lucky enough to have Mrs. Cavness as his first teacher. It was a great year and I remember being awed by Sue's energy, enthusiasm and attitude of excellence.
Sue is a fan of the popular "Survivor" reality series, as I am, and very creatively utilized the "Survivor" theme in her speech that managed to capture the attention of a room of teenagers. After the banquet ended, I asked Sue if I could have a copy of a portion of her speech that listed her Top 10 Survivor Life Lessons. I didn't know how or when I would use her list, but I just knew it was good enough to pass along to our readers at some point.
This week is one of those times when I'm not feeling very opinionated, so instead, I'll offer you some inspiration courtesy of Sue Cavness, one of the Cassville R-IV District's finest. She is great example of the type of dedicated, creative and inspirational teachers we are blessed with here in Cassville and throughout Barry County.
"Top 10 Survivor Life Lessons"
10. Remain drug free. Research has proven that drugs and alcohol will lead you down the path of destruction. A clean mind is a healthy mind.
9. Be true to yourself. Stand up tall and proud for what you believe in.
8. The world is enormous. Open a book and go see it.
7. Realize that life isn't always fair. Deal with it and hold no grudges.
6. Life is about choices. Every choice has a consequence. Some good. Some not so good.
5. Value friendships. And be a good friend.
4. Be compassionate. Follow the Golden Rule. I know you all have heard it. "Treat others as you would like to be treated."
3. Persevere. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Never quit.
2. Be grateful to your family. For they will always love you no matter what.
1. Trust God. HE has a plan for you.