Cassville schools bring base pay to $36,000

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

District picks up increase in employee health insurance

Teachers in the Cassville school district have received a pay bump for the coming school year, as the base pay has been raised $125 to an even $36,000.

Richard Asbill, Cassville superintendent, said discussions with the Cassville Community Teachers Association (CCTA) and the board left both parties satisfied in the change. The hike marks a $1,250 raise since the 2014-2015 school year, when base pay was $34,750.

“The committee met in April and May and had some good discussions,” he said. “The CCTA is aware of how we are monitoring some financial pieces, like the repairs made at the intermediate school. They are supportive and helpful in determining teacher needs and taking into account the district’s needs.”

Also approved by the board is the district’s coverage of a 3.5 percent increase in health insurance rates. The district pays 80 percent of employees’ health insurance plans, and the other 20 percent is also covered if the employee participated in the district’s wellness program, which amounts to a check-up each year.

Cassville continues to be in the top 10 in districts in southwest Missouri for certified teacher base pay,” Asbill said. “This is a competitive piece and a recruitment tool for us, as we want to remain competitive and draw in new teachers from the Springfield and Joplin areas for future employment.”

Twenty-three new teachers were hired by the school board in June, and 12 of those teachers are entering their first teaching positions.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: