The best and the brightest
Missouri names top academic athletes
While it is easy for fans to concentrate just on the score of an athletic contest, one factor and arguably the most important factor to coaches is that their athletes perform well in the classroom.
Just as athletes are recognized for outstanding accomplishments on the field. Missouri also recognizes those who excel in the classroom with the release of its annual Missouri State High School Baseball Coaches Association Academic All-State (MHSBCA) teams and players.
In the bi-county area, 10 players made the list.
Purdy contributed three players in Jake Brown, Kyler Propps and Mason Schallert.
Marionville’s Evan Dotson, Earnie Larkin, Jeremy Vickers and Wil Ghan made the list.
From Mt. Vernon, Will Boswell, Zach Jones and Ty Boswell claimed honors, as well.
In order to be awarded the Academic All-State recognition an athlete must meet the following criteria:
• The player will consist of all players on the varsity eligibility roster.
• The cumulative GPA of the semester, as of January will be used. Exchange students, transfer students, and 9th graders for the first semester are not eligible.
• To qualify, a player’s average must be 3.0 or better based on a 4.0 scale. For schools that use a scale beyond 4.0, the GPA must be readjusted to a 4.0 scale by your counseling department.
• A team eligibility list must be sent with the application.
• The high school head coach must be a member of MHSBCA, and the nominating coach must be a member of the MHSBCA.