Classroom excellence recognized across county
Purdy, Wheaton, Exeter softball players honored
As much as coaches are proud of their team’s achievements on the playing field, coaches are equally as proud when players are standouts in the classroom.
In order to recognize those who have achieved great academic heights, the Missouri High School Fastpitch Coaches Association created its annual Academic All-State list.
The bi-county area was well represented on the 2018 spring season list.
Purdy, with a team GPA of 3.75, was third overall; followed by Mt. Vernon, fifth, 3.71 GPA; and Marionville, sixth, 3.70 GPA.
Exeter and Wheaton teamed to have nine total athletes individually named to the list.
The complete bi-county list is as follows:
Purdy: Zoe Brown, Casey Ellison, Hallie Henderson, Madison Renkoski, McKenzie Renkoski and Mikey Schad. The team had a GPA of 3.75.
Wheaton: Sarah Burton, Tori Goostree, Kaylee Hutsell, Rachel Lacey, Hannah Lombard, Hallie Mitchell and Zoie Simpson and the Lady Bulldogs checked in with a team GPA of 3.66.
Exeter: Quartny Allen and Emalee Davis with a team GPA of 3.48
Marionville: Alexus Buckert, Madylon Davis, Tori LaSalle and Kaylee Neveln and a team GPA of 3.70
Mt. Vernon: Kassidy Anderson, Alane Cordray, Kendra Foulk, Lyndsey Hood, Michaela McChesney, Cydney Short and Raelin Swillum and a team GPA 3.71.
In order to qualify for the prestigious academic achievement, athletes must meet stringent requirements.
First, the honor is only awarded to student athletes or teams of a varsity coach who is a member of the Association.
In order to receive the teams award:
• All players on the varsity team have a cumulative unweighted grade point average (GPA) of 3.3 or better.
• The GPA is figured by the high school counselor after the fall 2017 semester and submitted to the state softball association committee.
• All GPAs are converted to a 4.0 scale. (individual also)
Individual requirements are:
• Only sophomores, juniors and seniors are eligible.
• Cumulative unweighted GPA after the fall 2017 semester of 3.50-4.0.
• The student athlete must start 70 percent of the team’s games or as a pitcher in the starting rotation.
• An individual student athlete must also attain one of the two following requirements. The student athlete must either be ranked in the top 25 percent of her class or attained a 24 on the ACT.