Baseball bookworms receive state recognition
Bi-county area lands 11 on Academic All-State list
The Missouri High School Baseball Coaches Association has released its most prestigious Academic All-State team, listing top academics.
While most fans only want to discuss the play on the field, the association realizes that its players are students first and athletes second.
On this year’s list, 11 bi-county athletes from Exeter, Monett, Pierce City and Aurora made the list.
• Exeter: Jared Alverson, Jared Lee and Kamerin Newman
• Monett: Jonathan Hawkins, Mason Swearingen and Zach Burgherr
• Pierce City: Devin Cox, Dallas Kleiboeker and Donell Kleiboeker
• Aurora: Brett Schellen and Zac Shoemaker
• Seneca: Alex Cook, Dawson Stephens, Gavin Clouse, Jayson Beard, Matt Caputo and Skylar Dodson
In order to qualify for Academic All-State honors, players must have started in 70 percent of the team’s games or been a part of the starting pitching rotation, ranked in the top 25 percent of their class or have an ACT score of at least 24.
Players must also have a GPA of 3.5 or higher and have been nominated by a coach or principal.