Wildcat grapplers head to districts
Cassville takes no-pressure approach to tournament
The wrestling regular season for Cassville concluded with a pair of home wins over El Dorado Springs, 45-15, and Diamond, 48-24, on Monday.
The Wildcats now turn their full attention to the district tournament on Friday and Saturday in Clinton, where the top four placers in each weight class will punch tickets to the state tournament in Columbia.
“I’ve said it from the beginning that wrestling is 90 percent mental and 10 percent physical,” said Nathan Fortner, Cassville coach. “People don’t understand how much this sport drains you mentally. We want our guys to stay loose and just have fun at Clinton.”
With the district loaded with traditional powers of Monett, Pleasant Hill and Odessa, state-qualifying spots will be hard to earn this season.
“I’ve got 10 guys that I expect to compete for those spots,” Fortner said. “You have to go hard every match, and you can’t enter the tournament thinking that you’ve already lost.”
Fortner said the team is confident, especially because they earned two victories on Monday, and the district seeds do not mean anything because anything can happen in the tournament.
Results for the Wildcats against El Dorado Springs are as follows. Cassville wrestlers are listed first:
• 120-pounds: Jaden Davis won by pin over John Odom
• 132-pounds: Tyler Morgan lost by pin to Keaton Atherton
• 145-pounds: Jose Melchor pinned Zoey Charles
• 195-pounds: Steven Hunter lost by pin to Dusty Gray
Results against Diamond:
• 120-pounds: Tyler Morgan pinned Cade Witsell
• 152-pounds: Braden Branham fell by pin to Ryan Graff
• 160-pounds: Logan Carlin defeated Blake Holder, 8-3
• 172-pounds: Wyatt Goade pinned Bryce Karter
• 182-pounds: Kyle Ruark lost to Ethan Dubois, 4-3
• 195-pounds: Steven Hunter pinned Kevin Beyers
Action at Clinton begins at 4 p.m.