Home dual set for Wildcat wrestlers
First principles still Cassville’s priorities
A dual with Diamond and El Dorado Springs on Monday will close the regular season for the Cassville wrestling program.
The Wildcats are racing to the season’s conclusion with more confidence and experience than they possessed when their inaugural campaign began, but Nathan Fortner, Cassville coach, still knows that there is work to be done.
“Fundamental growth is our biggest area of need right now,” Fortner said. “That will never change as long as I am here at Cassville. Our kids have shown that they can take instruction and implement it on the mat, but we are far from a finished product.”
Last week, the Wildcats traveled to Monett on Thursday to face the No. 4 ranked Cubs and No. 1 ranked Neosho.
The results were lopsided, as Neosho rolled to an 80-0 win, and Monett took home a 57-18 victory.
“Without a doubt we faced the two best programs in the area tonight,” Fortner said. “When we made a mistake, they took advantage. Our guys saw tonight how much work we have left to do to get to their level. I know we can get there, but our guys have to believe that they can as well.”
Logan Carlin and Wyatt Goade each earn victories by pin against the Cubs.
Carlin fell behind 3-0 before for battling back in getting a pin in the final minute of the match.
“Logan is a scrappy wrestler,” Fortner said. “This sport was invented for guys like him. He doesn’t quit, he
keeps moving, and when the other guys wear out, he keep chugging.”
Results for the Wildcats are as follows:
Seneca tourney results
• 120-pounds: Jaden Davis, eighth
• 132-pounds: Tyler Morgan, eighth
• 160-pounds: Logan Carlin, ninth
• 170-pounds: Wyatt Goade, sixth
• 195-pounds: Steven Hunter, seventh
• 220-pounds: Jesus Perez, 10th
• 285-pounds: Devin Phelps, ninth
The Monett dual results are as follows. Cassville wrestlers are list first.
• 106 pounds: Cassville forfeit
• 113 pounds: Cassville forfeit
• 120 pounds: Jaden Davis lost by technical fall, Karter Brink, 18-2
• 126 pounds: Double forfeit
• 132 pounds: Tyler Morgan lost to Gunnar Bradley, 13-3
• 138 pounds: Cassville forfeit
• 145 pounds: Jose Melchor lost by pin Onis Howard, in 3:20
• 152 pounds: Braden Branham lost by pin to Cody Thompson in 1:01
• 160 pounds: Logan Carlin pinned Desmond Hill in 5:10
• 170 pounds: Wyatt Goade pinned Kellar McCully in 38 seconds
• 182 pounds: Kyle Ruark lost by pin to Wesley Merriman in 4:26
• 195 pounds: Steven Hunter lost by pin to Ian Meyer in 2:38
• 220 pounds: Austin McLintock lost by pin to Trevor Prewitt in 1:25
• 285 pounds: Monett forfeit
Complete individual Neosho results were not available.
Matches on Monday are slated to begin at 6 p.m.