Wheaton VFD to host 57th annual barbecue
Entertainment, arts and crafts show, carnival rides offered
The city of Wheaton will be full of entertainment, arts and crafts, carnival rides and food on Aug. 29, as the Wheaton Volunteer Fire Department will host its 57th annual Wheaton Barbecue.
The traditional event includes a full day of fun events, activities and entertainment for the entire family. A schedule of events is as follows:
* 11 a.m., Show & Shine Car event. For more information, people may call 417-847-7907.
* 11 a.m., Spud McCracken Memorial Horseshoe Tournament. For more information, people may call 417-835-3003
* 11:30 a.m., food service begins, and the menu includes: 1/2 a barbecue chicken, a baked potato, baked beans, bread and milk or coffee. Cost is $6 for adults and $3 for children. Homemade pulled pork sandwich and baked beans are $5. There is also a firemen's root beer float stand and homemade pies made by the Wheaton United Methodist Women.
* 1 p.m., free children's carnival rides begin
* 8 p.m., Duck Race in the park, with 1st prize at $500
Grandstand Entertainment includes:
* 4 p.m., Charles Goswick and Friends
* 5 p.m., Ozark Mountain Revival
* 6 p.m., Glory Bound (Doug Holmes, Bob Cantwell & Steve Arnold)
* 7 p.m., Final Destination (Kevin Phillips, Steve Roney, Denny & Missy Wolf)
* 8:30 p.m. J Rock and The 3rd Street Band
An Arts and Crafts show will also be held. Free booth spaces are available, including large tents with shade. For more information, people may call 417-652-7359.
The city gives special thanks to Party Station and Mike's Amusements. The Wheaton Volunteer Fire Department will be able to offer all rides free for the children of the community, which is made possible through the sponsorship of area businesses.