29th annual Dogwood Festival set for Saturday
37 class awards, 29 specialty picks to be given
The Cassville Area Chamber of Commerce will host the 29th Annual Dogwood Car, Truck and Motorcycle Festival, with participants eligible to compete for 37 class awards and 29 specialty picks.
The Festival will be held around the Cassville square on Saturday. Registration will take place inside of the court house from 7:30-9:30 a.m., with judging set to begin immediately.
The chamber office, located at 504 Main Street, is accepting early entries. The first 100 show entries will receive a goody bag, including a commemorative dash plaque, along with other items donated from local businesses. Entry fee is $20 per vehicle. Admission is free for spectators.
According to Mindi Artherton, Chamber director, The Dogwood has a strong history in Cassville and is fun for both car enthusiasts and the general public. The event offers disk-jockey music and entertainment, food vendors, shopping and over 100 cars parked around the square. Event t-shirts, sponsored by Shumaker Tire and Wheel, are available at the chamber office and at the event. Door prizes will be given away throughout the day to participants.
The chamber is excited to have live music at this year's event. The Possom Holler Fiddlers will play from 10-11 a.m. Financial assistance for the music at the event has been provided by the Missouri Association of Community Arts Agencies and the Missouri Arts Council, a state agency, with Challenge America funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.
At noon, participants will be asked to start their cars and rev their engines for Dogwood tradition -- thunder on the square.
The Cassville Cruisers will host a special cruise in on Friday, prior to the festival. The cruise-in will take place from 5-8 p.m. on the courthouse square and will offer door prizes, music and camaraderie between car enthusiast. This cruise in is in addition to the club's May cruise in.
Participants will have the opportunity to compete for 37 class awards and 29 specialty picks. Winners of class awards will receive either a first-place trophy or a second-place plaque. For a full list of classes, people may contact the chamber office at 417-847-2814, or visit www.cassville.com. The following specialty picks, including the popular Dogwood Dozen, will be given:
* Show Stopper, sponsored by Baywash Car Wash
* Best Presentation, sponsored by B&K Auto Body
* Best MOPAR, sponsored by Country Dodge, Ram, Chrysler, Jeep
* Best GM/Chevy, sponsored by Flat Creek Xpress Lube
* Best Ford/Mercury/Lincoln, sponsored by Les Jacobs Ford
* Best Paint, sponsored by Ken's Collision Center
* Best Interior, sponsored by Arning Companies
* Best Engine, sponsored by Gautney's Garage
* Furthest Traveled/ Trailered, sponsored by Security Bank of SW Missouri
* Cassville Mayor Pick, sponsored by Ellis, Cupps, and Cole Attorneys at Law
* Barry County Sheriff Pick, sponsored by Freedom Bank
* Cassville Chief of Police Pick, sponsored by Able 2 Products
* State Representative Pick, sponsored by First State Bank
* State Senator Pick, sponsored by Ball and Prier Tire
* Most Unique Entry, sponsored by Degraffenreid Shelter Insurance
* Larges Car Club, sponsored by Seven Valley's Construction (winner will receive $100)
* Work in Progress, sponsored by Carquest and O'Reilly's (winner will receive $250 in gift certificates)
Awards will be given at the conclusion of judging. The event will take place rain or shine.