Seligman intends to apply for plugging well grants

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

City waiting for more bids to plug well out of service since 1970s

SELIGMAN -- Seligman plans to submit grant applications to the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (DNR) toward plugging water well No. 2, which has been out of service since the 1970s.

The city is applying for a primary grant and a secondary grant, said Brian Nichols, Seligman city clerk. The primary grant will pay for 90 percent and the secondary grant will pay for the remaining 10 percent of the project.

Seligman has received one bid, Nichols said. Crane-based Lefty's Pump & Drilling Co. submitted a $15,280 bid.

"DNR only requires us to have one bid; but of course, I would like to get multiple [bids] and try to choose the best of the options there," Nichols said.

He said the city cannot plug the well because the city has to go by DNR's approved list of drillers for plugging.

"There is no work-around for us," Nichols said.

He said DNR looked at the city's application when Seligman pre-submitted it for review.

"They said it looks great, go ahead and get it submitted," Nichols said.

July 1 is the submission date for the grants.

DNR and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency require wells to be plugged after so long if they are not being used, said Wayne Persons, Seligman maintenance supervisor.

"[Well No. 2] is capped off where nothing can get in it as of right now," Persons said.

The city put the well out of service after it tested positive for metal contents that were above the maximum contaminant level. Seligman pulled out the pump and motor. It stripped everything out of the well and covered up the well.

The city has received yearly updates on abandoning wells. It had not received a letter stating that Seligman must get the well plugged until the city received a notification from DNR on Dec. 19, 2014. The well must plugged with concrete.

The well has a total depth of 1,730 feet and a yield of 37 gallons per minute.

Seligman has three wells. The city pumps just under 3 million gallons during each winter month, and about 4 million gallons a month the rest of the year.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: