Barry County voter turnout spikes in General Election
Youngblood: November elections usually bring more voters
Despite most candidates for office running unopposed, Barry County voters took to the polls on Nov. 4 at a higher rate than the municipal or primary elections earlier this year.
According to figures released by Barry County Clerk Gary Youngblood, 35.87 percent of registered voters took to the polls, which is 7,288 voters out of 20,319.
The highest turnout was in the Shell Knob precinct, which saw 48.78 percent of voters cast a ballot. The lowest turnout was at the Seligman precinct, which reported 27.9 percent of voters cast a ballot.
Youngblood said he believes the spike in voter turnout, up from 31.34 percent in the August primaries and up from 15 percent in the April municipal elections, was primarily due to it being a General Election.
"General Elections always see a higher turnout, and some of the amendments were probably a driving force as well," he said. "The education amendment, [Amendment 3], was a driving force for anyone involved in education, but it bing a General Election and the publicity through the media was probably the main driver."
Barry County aligned with the state on each of the proposed amendments. On Amendment 2, the county was 77.96 percent in favor, and the state was 72 percent in favor; on Amendment 3, the county was 74.82 percent opposed, and the state was 77 percent opposed; on Amendment 6, the county was 75.38 percent opposed, and the state was 71 percent opposed; and on amendment 10, the county was 65.44 percent in favor, and the state was 57 percent in favor.
Total voter turnout for each precinct is as follows:
* Ash: 34.34 percent, 159 of 463 registered voters
* Butterfield/McDonald: 32.46 percent, 235 of 724 registered voters
* Capps Creek: 37.20 percent, 157 of 422 registered voters
* Cassville City: 34.39 percent, 641 of 1,864 registered voters
* Cassville Rural/Mineral: 33.32 percent, 693 of 2,080 registered voters
* Crane Creek: 31.28 percent, 178 of 569 registered voters
* Exeter: 34.14 percent, 395 of 1,157 registered voters
* Golden: 41.90 percent, 357 of 852 registered voters
* Jenkins: 38.11 percent, 186 of 488 registered voters
* Kings Prairie/Pleasant Ridge: 37.02 percent, 355 of 959 registered voters
* Purdy/McDowell: 31.80 percent, 512 of 1,610 registered voters
* Monett: 28.01 percent, 957 of 3,417 registered voters
* Ozark: 32.85 percent, 206 of 627 registered voters
* Roaring River: 39.12 percent, 329 of 841 registered voters
* Seligman: 27.90 percent, 257 of 921 registered voters
* Shell Knob: 48.78 percent, 777 of 1,593 registered voters
* Washburn: 31.10 percent, 223 of 717 registered voters
* Wheaton: 30.05 percent, 305 of 1,015 registered voters
* Absentee votes: 366