Holiday weekend crashes leave one dead, several injured
A Bentonville, Ark., man was fatally injured in a two-vehicle crash on Highway 37 two miles north of Washburn on Saturday.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, the crash occurred when Buck A. Haynes, 32, of Bentonville, Ark., who was riding a 2000 Honda Shadow, stopped in traffic attempting to make a left turn. A 1987 Nissan pickup, driven by Austin C. Selee, 18, of Seligman, struck Haynes' vehicle from behind.
Haynes was pronounced dead at the scene by Dr. Kibrella of Cox South Hospital at 10:20 a.m. As required by law, Selee was tested for alcohol and no alcohol was located.
Selee was wearing a seat belt when the crash occurred at 9:49 a.m. According to the Highway Patrol crash report, Haynes was not wearing a safety device.
* On Friday, a Mt. Vernon man was seriously injured in a one-vehicle crash on Highway 39 eight miles south of Aurora. The crash occurred when a 2003 Honda VTX, driven by Thomas C. McCanless, 40, failed to negotiate a curve, traveled off the roadway and overturned. McCanless was transported by ambulance to Cox South Hospital in Springfield. He was wearing a safety device when the crash occurred at 6 p.m.
* A Washburn woman was moderately injured in a one-vehicle crash on Highway 37 two miles north of Seligman on Saturday. The crash occurred when a 2004 Chrysler Sebring, driven by James S. McDonald, 37, of Seligman, struck a deer, ran off the roadway and overturned. McDonald's passenger, Jessica D. Halter, 27, was taken to Mercy Hospital in Rogers, Ark. Halter was not wearing a seat belt when the crash occurred at 12:15 a.m.
* On Sunday, a Shawnee, Kan., woman was moderately injured in a one-vehicle crash on Farm Road 2285 one mile north of Eagle Rock. The crash occurred when a Polaris ATV, driven by Gregg A. Ratzloff, 56, of Shawnee, Kan., attempted to make a U-turn in the roadway and his passenger, Mary S. Ratzloff, 48, fell off the back of the vehicle. Mary Ratzloff was taken to Mercy Hospital in Rogers, Ark. She was not wearing a safety device when the crash occurred at 11:05 a.m.
* A pair of Yuma, Ariz., residents sustained minor injuries in a two-vehicle crash that occurred on Highway 97 seven miles west of Purdy on Sunday. The crash occurred when a 2011 Ford E-450, driven by Kristi R. Bivens, 41, of Yuma, Ariz., and a Ford F-250 pickup, driven by an unknown individual, met on a bridge and the mirrors struck. Debris from the mirrors caused Bivens and her passenger, Hannah R. Bivens, 6, to sustain minor injuries. The second vehicle fled the scene of the crash. Kristi and Hannah Bivens were both wearing seat belts when the crash occurred at 6:11 p.m.
* On Friday, a Monett woman sustained minor injuries in a two-vehicle crash on Highway 37 one mile north of Cassville. The crash occurred when a 2011 Chevrolet Colorado pickup, driven by Kelly K. Lee, 31, of Exeter, failed to yield and pulled into the path of a 2012 Chevrolet Traders SUV, driven by Yolanda Morales, 41, of Monett. Morales was taken to Cox Monett Hospital. Both drivers were wearing seat belts when the crash occurred at 12:58 p.m.