I have learned a great deal working at the newspaper over the last eight years. This week, I would like to share five of the lessons I have learned that I will carry with me throughout my life.
* Giving your word to someone in Barry County still means something. If you live in Cassville or one of the surrounding communities and tell someone you are going to do something, they believe you and hold you to it. If you can't be held to your word, your character will suffer in the eyes of your fellow Barry Countians.
* Always pack an umbrella and a jacket. An editor, or a reporter, never knows what kind of story they will be called to cover on a given day. Even though there are always surprises in life, bringing an umbrella and a jacket helps you feel prepared for the situation and the weather.
* It's okay to make mistakes, but do your best to correct those mistakes. Over the last eight years, I have been asked to run corrections on certain occasions. After researching my unintentional mistakes, I have always done my best to set the record straight and learn from those mistakes. I believe my commitment to righting wrongs has helped me build a relationship of trust with our local community and also maintain a trustworthy relationship with my husband, my daughter, my family and my friends.
* Visiting Roaring River State Park can relieve stress. I have been blessed to have the opportunity to write about Roaring River on numerous occasions. Each time I take a few minutes to visit the park to take photos or conduct an interview with a staff member I am reminded of the beauty that we have right in our backyard. Roaring River is one of the most serene places on earth.
* Never forget that young eyes are always watching. I can't tell you the number of times I have been shopping in Cassville or attending a community event and a child has stopped me to say they saw me at their school. We must always remember that we are role models for the children of Barry County, and we should always conduct ourselves in a way that can be mimicked.
These are just a few of the life lessons I have learned while working at the Cassville Democrat. I appreciate each of our readers, advertisers and community members who have helped me learn the importance of these lessons, which I will carry with me forever.