Little Joe Scholarship recipients announced
The Little Joe Transplant Fund Board of Trustees has released the names of its 2013 scholarship recipients.
This year, 14 students were chosen for the scholarship. Each student will receive a $1,000 scholarship, which will give them $500 for each of their first two semesters in college. The funds will be paid directly to the education institution that the student selects.
Recipients are listed below by high school.
* Cassville High School: Cole Beagle, son of Dan and Karen Beagle, of Cassville; Ali Hanson, daughter of Brad and Jennifer Hanson, of Cassville; and Lora Weathers, daughter of Kim Durossette and Johnny Weathers, of Exeter.
* Southwest High School: Jerri Lynn Henry, daughter of Jerry and Kathy Henry, of Washburn; and Atisha Marie Boudreau, daughter of Becky Morgan, of Seligman.
* Wheaton High School: Darrell Lewis Burns, son of Angela Burns, of Exeter.
* Exeter High School: Kyle Lewis Evatt, son of Dorothy Hobbs, of Exeter; and Mason Weston, son of Annette Weston, of Exeter.
* Monett High School: Nicholas Roberts, son of Jerry and Denice Roberts, of Monett; Monica Villa Mesa, daughter of Honono Villa, of Monett; and Cheryl Barnes, daughter of Susan Barnes, of Monett.
* Purdy High School: Maddie Kate Vice, daughter of Robert I Vice, of Purdy; Hayle Wedel, daughter of Rebecca Carden, of Purdy; and Kaitlin Brigman, daughter of Jim Brigman, of Monett.
The Little Joe Transplant Fund began with a principal balance of $310,000 that was donated by area citizens to help fund a heart and lung transplant for the late Joe Starchman, of Cassville. The scholarships are funded from earned income on the principal, which has been set aside to fund other youth transplants.