McDonald's could be back by July

Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Democrat Photo/Lindsay Reed McDonald's demolished Crews completed the demolition of the Cassville McDonald's last week. The clean-up project will clear the way for the new restaurant, which could open sometime in July.

The Cassville McDonald's Restaurant could be back in business by July. Owner Bill Mathews said that much of the insurance claim process has been completed, and he hopes to hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the new restaurant in mid April.

"Right now, we are getting the old one cleaned up and trying to figure out what size of building we are going to build back with," said Mathews. "It will probably be a little bigger."

Demolition work was scheduled to be completed by the end of March, and LR Mourning Company, of Little Rock, Ark., has already signed on as the general contractor for the rebuilding project.

"This is not going to be an 18-month shut down like the restaurant in Monett," said Mathews. "We are not going to be down that long. We were out there the day after the fire with McDonald's construction crews looking at what we could do to get back in business."

Mathews said the new building will likely feature a larger dining area and be equipped with all new appliances.

"We are not salvaging a thing," said Mathews. "Everything will be brand new. The restaurant was a 100 percent loss. The only thing left is the drive through signs and the free standing monument sign at the street."

Mathews said preliminary reports have indicated that the blaze that destroyed the Cassville restaurant on March 10 was caused by an electrical fire in the attic. The official report has not yet been released.

"This is a terrible loss for us," continued Mathews. "Cassville has been one of the best restaurants we have in our company, by far."

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: