Scott Tech Center to host third Transition and Resource Expo
Scott Regional Technology Center in Monett will host the third annual Transition and Resource Expo from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 26.
Eighty exhibitors have been invited to attend the event. Each exhibitor will provide information to those attending about the services that they provide.
The work groups for the event include: Scott Regional Technology Center, Work Experience Program, Community Support Services, Joplin Regional Office, Alternative Opportunities, Inc., and Lawrence Community Transition Team.
Funding support is provided from Lawrence County Board for Developmental Disabilities and Barry County Board for Developmental Disabilities.
The Transition and Resource Expo is for individuals with disabilities of all ages, parents, educators, caregivers and for those who have experienced transitions at any age and all stages of life.
Parent navigators will be available to mentor other parents and develop relationships with each other to offer their help and share knowledge. A new program that began in 2012, parent navigators are veteran parents who are familiar with the issues of raising a child with disabilities. They can identify services and understand how to navigate the system of support, providing great resources to newer parents.
One parent from last year told a member of the work group that she felt like she had been wandering in a maze alone.
Sandwiches, chips, cookies, water and popcorn will be available free to those who attend. There will be a drawing every 15 minutes and many of the exhibitors will bring door prizes.
|Rhythm the Wonder Horse will make a repeat appearance this year. New events will include a performance by the Music Therapy Group at 3:30 p.m. and a Zumba demonstration by Fire Up Fitness at 5 p.m.||Categories of services and the exhibors that are scheduled to attend are as follows:|
* Challenged Athletes of the Ozarks.
* Champion Athletes of the Ozarks.
* Arc of the Ozarks, Employment Solutions.
* Alternative Opportunities.
* MERS Goodwill.
* MO Vocational Rehab -- Barry County.
* Barry -- Lawrence County Public Administrator.
* Division of Senior and Disability Services.
* Governor's Council on Disability.
* First Steps -- Community Support Services.
|* Ozarks Technical Community College.|
* Scott Regional Technology Center.
Individual and Family Support/Funding
* Alternative Opportunities.
* Arc of the Ozarks.
* Bridges of Missouri.
* Deaf Friends.
* Independent Living Center.
* Lawrence County Board for Dev. Disabilities.
* Lawrence and Barry County Family Support.
* OACAC Neighborhood Center, Lawrence County.
* Southwest Center for Independent Living.
* OATS, Inc.
* Community Support Services.
* Joplin Regional Office.
Health and Wellness
* Access Family Care.
* Access Home Health Agency.
* Burrell Behavioral Health.
* Clark Community Mental Health Center.
* DHSS Bureau of Special Health Care Needs.
* Hospice Compassus.
Assistive Technology and Therapy Services.
* Missouri Rehabilitation Center and its Assistive Technology Assessment Center.
* Music Therapy Services, Inc.
* Vision Rehabilitation Center of the Ozarks.
Scott Regional Technology Center is located behind the Monett High School on David Sippy Drive.
"Transitions happen at all ages and all stages of life," said Geneva Blue, work experience coordinator. "Routine transitions of life can be especially difficult for individuals with disabilities. Services are available to support individuals and their families.
"It is critical to know what is available and to utilize services for the best benefit of the individual," Blue continued. "We are fortunate in Barry and Lawrence counties to have a wide variety of services locally, plus we have even more available in Joplin and Springfield. The Expo will link consumers and providers, but we also want to celebrate these valuable resources."