Severe weather advisory in effect
A winter travel advisory is in effect for the southwest Missouri area throughout today and into the evening hours.
According to the Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT), the forecast is calling for a wintry mix of sleet, freezing rain and snow by early afternoon. Roadways may become slick during the afternoon and evening hours. As the storm travels across the southwest Missouri area, road conditions are likely to deteriorate.
Icy conditions may create hazardous conditions, including downed power lines or ice-covered tree limbs in the roadway.
MoDOT workers will be on duty as the storm approaches and will begin treating or plowing roads as conditions deteriorate.
Travelers are advised to use caution during the storm event. MoDOT urges motorists to:
* Buckle up.
* Adjust driving speeds to road conditions. Ice may not be visible to motorists on the roads.
* Be alert for changing road conditions while driving.
* Do not drive over downed utility lines.
* Keep the windshield and other windows clear of accumulation.
* Stay at least 100 feet behind trucks plowing or salting the road.
* Focus on driving and avoid distractions.
For information on road conditions, visit the MoDOT traveler information map at http://maps.modot.mo.gov.timi.