Board members with the Wheaton R-3 School District approved paying $12,000 to Graham's Excavation for work completed thus far on the construction of a new track.
According to Connie Banks, board secretary, the work has been partially completed, but the crew is waiting for rain.
"They tore out and buried some brush that was in the way," Banks said, "But now they are having to wait on rain so they can complete the job."
When work is completed on the track excavation, the board will pay the final $3,000 installment.
Board members accepted the resignation on Barbara Skinner, cooking program sponsor.
The board also hired Jessica Yang and Jennifer Trent as certified teachers for the 2012-13 school year.
In other business, the board:
* Approved updates to student handbooks for the upcoming academic year.
* Approved revising the budget for the 2011-12 academic year to reflect actual expenditures and revenues.
* Approved the proposed 2012-13 budget.
* Heard evaluations of the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program, preschool and Title 1 programs.
In July, board members:
* Approved breakfast and lunch prices for the district's food program.
* Set the date of the public tax hearing for 6 p.m. on Aug. 16 in the school cafeteria.
* Approved mileage rates at 44 cents per mile.
* Approved the new family size and income scale to determine those who qualify for free and reduced lunches.