Last weekend, the Monett WaterThrashers traveled to Springfield for the Missouri State Aquatics Meet and captured the overall championship trophy.
The WaterThrashers rolled up 646 points in taking first. Branson was second with 468.50. A total of nine teams competed in the meet.
"This weekend we took over 100 of our 145 swimmers to Springfield for the MSA invitational, and after four weeks of tough practices, our swimmers had an incredible weekend," reported Thrashers coach Christin Janssen.
"One of our greatest strengths is that we work well as a team and that really showed this weekend," said Janssen. "The really neat thing is that the more of them that attend a meet, the better they swim.
"In many heats of races we have multiple swimmers and they actually swim better when they swim against their teammates," said Janssen. "This strength of team showed in our results this weekend. Our relays dominated because these kids love to swim together and love to help each other get better. No one is in it for themselves."
From the youngest through the oldest divisions, the Monett club placed swimmers in the top scorers. Ethan Umfleet, Alex Bahl and Carter Huffmaster were all high scorers in their respective divisions.
Overall rankings by division:
* 6-and-under girls: Lauren Miller, third.
* 8-and-under girls: Olivia Janssen, second; and Bridie Finch third.
* 8-and-under boys: Ethan Umfleet, first.
* 10-and-under boys: Logan Umfleet, fourth.
* 13-14 men: Jonah Paszek, third.
* 13-14 women: Alex Bahl, first.
* 15-18 women: Maddy Glouse, third; and Chloe Ridgley, fourth.
* 15-18 men: Carter Huffmaster, first; Wesley Abramovitz, second; and Reese Bounous, fourth.
The following participants earned individual gold medals:
* Huffmaster: 15-18 men 200 free, 1:58.73, 15-18 men 50 free, 23.43, 15-18 men 50 back, 28.39, 15-18 men 50 fly, 25.19, and 15-18 men 100 free, 51.01.
* Umfleet: 8-and-under boys 25 back, 21.49, 8-and-under boys 25 fly, 23.16, and 8-and-under boys 50 free, 41.60.
* Bahl, 13-14 women 50 back, 33.71, and 13-14 women, 50 fly, 32.15.
* Bounous, 15-18 men 50 breast, 31.96.