On June 6, Thorco Industries announced the closure of the Cassville plant. Thorco released the following official statement regarding the decision to end operations in Cassville.
"Management of Thorco Industries LLC today (June 6) informed employees of plans to idle operations at the company's manufacturing plants in Butler and Cassville, effective July 1. Together, the two facilities currently employ 27 people. The company regrets the necessity of this action, which is a result of reduced business levels.
"Thorco will continue to provide leading North American retailers with high quality store fixtures and related products and services from its plants in Lamar and Nevada."
The Cassville Thorco plant, which is located on Sale Barn Road, opened in April of 1994. The plant manufactures point-of-purchase display items used in retail stores across the country.
F.M. Thorpe Manufacturing was founded by Frank M. Thorpe in Lamar in 1899. The company's first product was a grocery store potato scoop. The Thorpe family ran the manufacturing company for over 67 years.
In 1966, Thorpe Manufacturing was sold to James Allen and Howard, who adopted the trade name Thorco.
Thorco was purchased by The Marmon Group, an international association of manufacturing and service companies headquartered in Chicago, Ill., in 1990.
In December of 2007, Berkshire Hathaway acquired 60 percent of Marmon Holdings, Inc., including Thorco Industries.