Little Joe Scholarship recipients announced
The Little Joe Transplant Fund Board of Trustees has released the names of its 2012 scholarship recipients.
This year, 15 students were chosen for the scholarship. Each student will receive a $1,000 scholarship, which will give them $500 for each of their first two semesters in college. The funds will be paid directly to the education institution that the student selects.
Recipients are listed below by high school.
* Cassville High School: Rebecca Haney, daughter of Shannon and Dove Haney, of Cassville; Macayla Coleman, daughter of Edward and Dea Coleman, of Cassville; Danielle Pianalto, daughter of Rodney and Margie Pianalto, of Cassville; Zane LeCompte, son of Michael and Jill LeCompte, of Cassville; and Rachel Sanders, daughter of Carl and Lisa Sanders, of Jenkins.
*Monett High School: Carley Tilley, daughter of Phil and Jennifer Tilley, of Monett; Ryan Saunders, son of David Saunders, of Monett; Chris Renteria, son of Alejandro Renteria, of Monett; and Tyler Webb, son of Jason and Cheryl Webb, of Monett.
* Purdy High School: Garen Christian Nelson, son of Kimberly Utter, of Purdy.
* Wheaton High School: Chee Yang, son of Tova Yang, of Rocky Comfort; and Gordan Xiong, son of Andrew and Sarah Xiong, of Exeter.
* Exeter High School: Patience Lewis, daughter of Naiomi Lewis, of Exeter.
* Southwest High School: Andrea Elizabeth Bland, daughter of Julie Bland, of Seligman; and Jacey Gundel, daughter of Brad and Deena Gundel, of Washburn.
The Little Joe Transplant Fund began with a principal balance of $310,000 that was donated by area citizens to help fund a heart and lung transplant for the late Joe Starchman, of Cassville. The scholarships are funded from earned income on the principal, which has been set aside to fund other youth transplants.
A reception in honor of the 2012 Little Joe Scholarship recipients will be held at the Barry County Museum on Highway 112 south of Cassville at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, April 30.