The Southwest R-5 School Board hired four substitute teachers and one substitute bus driver at its regularly scheduled meeting on Feb. 16.
Karry Lewis, Linda Rodriguez, Christine Shepherd and Joshua Wiseman will serve as substitute teachers, and Merlene Hall was hired as a substitute bus driver.
In other business, the Southwest R-5 School Board:
* Approved the 2012-13 school year calendar, which includes a start date of Aug. 13. Students will be released early on several Friday afternoons throughout the year to allow teachers time to participate in professional development.
* Approved a senior class trip to St. Louis.
* Set high school graduation on May 11 and eighth grade promotion on May 10.
* Approved the fine arts curriculum.
* Reviewed the fine arts program, speech and debate and administrative reports.