[Masthead] Fair ~ 75°F  
High: 74°F ~ Low: 50°F
Tuesday, Sep. 23, 2014

Grant to make local senior apartments more efficient

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Cassville Senior Citizens Rental Housing Corporation has received a federal Housing Assistance Council grant that will fund energy efficiency improvements at the senior apartments located off of Townsend in Cassville.

"Our USDA servicing agent sent me a link for the grant, and I applied for it in December (2011)," said Jennifer Evans, Cassville Senior Citizens Rental Housing manager. "The grant is for senior citizens living in rural areas."

The three-year grant gives recipients an opportunity to receive up to $20,000 during the first two years and $10,000 in the third year for a total of $50,000.

The Cassville Senior Citizens Rental Housing Corporation has been awarded $13,000 to purchase and install new energy-efficient hot water heaters and insulation in senior apartments during the first year.

"During the second year, we will be installing energy-efficient windows, and during the third year, we will install new metal front and storm doors for each apartment," said Evans. "The goal of the grant is to make each apartment more energy efficient."

Utility costs are included in the rental fees at the senior housing apartments. Lowering energy costs will help keep rent costs lower for tenants, said Evans.

"We are hoping this will enhance the quality of life for our residents, but the main goal is to keep rent as low as possible," said Evans. "With the rising costs of utilities, we are trying to do everything we can on our end to keep the costs down."

Funds will be distributed this month. The corporation will receive 80 percent of the grant funds up front and the remaining 20 percent of funding after the improvements have been completed.

"We plan to start the project just as soon as we get the money," said Evans.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.