The Wheaton City Council adopted a new water ordinance at its regularly scheduled meeting on Oct. 4.
According to Marinanne Witt, Wheaton city clerk, the new ordinance updates the city's shut-off policy for late accounts.
"The bills are due on the 15th of the month," said Witt. "On the 16th, a late charge is assessed, and 10 days later, services are shut off for non payment.
"We were sending out so many notices that our shut-off policy was becoming cost prohibitive," said Witt. "The city has sent letters out to all residents explaining the new policy."
In other business, the Wheaton City Council:
* Heard that Daric Garren plans to open a pawn shop on Main Street.
* Voted to give Margie Schad, part-time clerk, a 25-cent per hour pay increase.
* Approved pay requests from All State Tank and Jerry McBride for work associated with the city water improvement project.
* Updated the city's nuisance ordinance.
* Directed Witt to ask David Cole, city attorney, to draft a form letter regarding the dangerous building ordinance.
* Heard that Bob Lombard and Taylor Lombard, city employees, will paint yellow parking stripes on Main Street. The pair will also trim tree limbs hanging over the main roadway.