The Exeter City Council approved a utility rate increase at its regularly scheduled meeting on Oct. 12.
The aldermen voted to increase the basic water rate for individuals who live outside the city limits but have meters located inside the city limits. The basic fee for those users will increase $10 per month.
In other business, the Exeter City Council:
* Approved the bank reconciliations, voted to pay the September bills as presented and reviewed the bank balances.
* Voted to allow Mayor Rusty Reed to purchase one tank of gas a month for weekend well and sewer plant checks and other errands performed for the city.
* Approved the budget for Oct. 1 through Sept. 30, 2012.
* Amended the 2010-11 fiscal year budget.
* Approved a request from 4-State Asphalt. The business plans to expand the size of its shop located at 118 Front St.