County DD Board awards over $300,000 in funding
The Barry County Board for the Developmentally Disabled approved over $300,000 in grant requests at its quarterly meeting on Nov. 14.
Patty Reed, of ARC of the Ozarks, presented the board with several grant requests. The board approved five of the funding requests and tabled the sixth grant application.
The board approved a $3,379.20 request for one-on-one service that will benefit two individuals during 2012 and committed $30,326.40 for the continuation of the Countryside Care community integration program.
The board also approved a $7,338.24 funding request that will allow a local woman to attend the Cassville Day Care program three days a week and a $758 request that will be used to purchase a scale that is compatible with wheel chairs.
A $19,968 request, which was also approved, will provide funding for a job coach who will work with around 50 local residents interested in securing employment.
Reed also presented the board with a $80,000 grant request that would be used to cover a shortfall in funding from the Missouri Department of Mental Health Regional Center in Joplin. Last year, the local program lost $81,000.
Board members asked several questions regarding the decrease in funding received through the Joplin office. Rep. David Sater, a member of the board for the developmentally disabled, stated that he will gather more information on the funding decrease.
The grant request was tabled until the next quarterly meeting. More information about the decrease in funding and impacts of the funding cuts will be presented at meeting in three months.
The board also received a grant proposal from Champion Athletes, which began serving local individuals this year. The program provides individuals with an opportunity to participate in a bowling program with their peers and individuals from neighboring counties.
Susan Miles, of Champion Athletes, presented the board with a $1,079 grant request, which will provide funding for bowling costs for 16 Barry County residents during 2012. The request was approved.
Other grant requests approved by the Barry County Board for the Developmentally Disabled included:
* Monett Area Extended Workshop, $78,443.64, transportation expenses, and $9,191.66, state funding shortfall.
* Community Support Services of Joplin, $16,113, case management resource specialist.
* Barry-Lawrence County Development Center, $27,000, transportation and operation expenses.
* Drury Music Therapy Program, $61,727, operational expenses.
* Missouri Department of Mental Health Regional Center in Joplin, $44,540, supportive employment and respite services.
* Camp Barnabas, $15,400, camp scholarships.
* Lawrence County Board for the Developmentally Disabled, $500, resource fair partnership.
The next meeting of the Barry County Board for the Developmentally Disabled will be held on Jan. 9.