BCHD has administered 900 flu shots
The Barry County Health Department Board of Trustees received an update on flu vaccinations at its regularly scheduled meeting on Oct. 20.
Carol Landstad, public health program coordinator, reported that the health department has administered around 900 flu shots so far this fall. The department received a total of 2,000 vaccines this year.
"We have no confirmed flu cases in Barry County, but with the weather getting cooler, people are starting to think about flu shots," said Landstad. "There was no delay with the vaccine this year, so we received our shipment early. We still have more than half of our vaccines available though."
Flu vaccinations are offered at the Cassville and Monett health department offices from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
In other business, the Barry County Health Department Board of Trustees:
* Approved the date for the department's staff holiday luncheon, which will be held at the Barry County Museum on Dec. 9.
* Voted to leave the mileage reimbursement rate at 50 cents.
* Reviewed the service fees report, which showed that the department collected $5,654.40 in September. The department saw an 18 percent increase in service fees compared to the $4,782.05 collected in September of 2010.
* Heard that staff members conducted TB testing at the Southwest Area Career Center in Monett and offered smoking cessation information at the EFCO Wellness Fair in Monett last month.
* Reviewed the service counts, which showed that 945 services were offered at the Cassville office and 818 services were offered at the Monett office in September.
* Heard that the health department's 2011-12 WIC (Women, Infant, Child) contract will be $264,890, which is nearly $20,000 less than last year. The contract could be adjusted based on caseload.
* Reviewed the environmental services report, which showed that 11 wastewater systems were permitted and 28 routine food service and two annual childcare inspections were conducted last month.
* Heard that the health department received state approval for its public health emergency and preparedness contract. The department will receive $29,103 for a part-time planner and training services provided by the Taney County Health Department.
* Amended the health department's personnel policy, which addresses employee accrued sick leave.
* Heard that repairs to the guttering and soffit at the Monett health department office have been estimated at $1,000 to $1,100.