The Cassville R-4 Board of Education approved a light replacement project that will produce significant utilities savings for the district at the board's June meeting.
Maintenance crews will be replacing existing metal-halide lights in both the middle school and high school gymnasiums with high output fluorescent lights. Cost of the project is $63,000 but the changes will result in an estimated $5,700 in energy cost savings to the district annually.
In addition, the district is exploring the possibility of replacing traditional light switches with more energy-efficient motion detector switches.
"When no motion is detected in the classroom, the lights will automatically turn off," said Cassville Superintendent Richard Asbill. "We're trying to think outside the box in an effort to save the district money."
Asbill credits Barry Electric Cooperative for its assistance not only with the replacement project, but for an energy initiative that will result in a 40 percent rebate for the initial cost of the replacement project.
"[Barry Electric] has been very helpful to the school and very supportive in working with the school to take advantage of this opportunity," Asbill said.
The R-4 Board also set meal prices for the 2011-12 school year that remain unchanged from the previous year.
For primary and intermediate students, breakfast will cost $1 and lunch will cost $1.40. Middle school students will have to pay $1 for breakfast and $1.50 for lunch. High school students will pay $1 for breakfast and $1.75 for lunch.
Adult meals will be $1.25 for breakfast and $2.25 for lunch.
Cost of reduced meals is 30 cents for breakfast and 40 cents for lunch. Milk will cost 30 cents.
In other business, the board:
* Accepted the bread bid from Sara Lee brands and rejected all gasoline and diesel bids.
* Approved the 2011-12 extracurricular contracts.
* Set the tax rate hearing date for 6 p.m. on Aug. 11.
* Approved the district-wide evaluation plan of school programs for the upcoming academic year.
* Approved the district tuition rate at $6,000 per student, an increase of $200 over last year's tuition rate.
* Approved the transportation route plan for 2011-12.
* Approved the Compre-hensive School Improvement Plan.
* Approved a contract for impaired vision services.