SW Board approves health insurance premiums, bus bid
The Southwest R-5 School Board approved health insurance premiums and a bus bid at its regularly scheduled meeting on May 12.
The board voted to offer three insurance plans for the 2011-12 school year. Employees can choose among the following plans: a $1,000 deductible plan with a monthly premium of $345.38; a $250 deductible plan with a month premium of $371.31; or a $2,500 deductible Health Savings Account plan with a monthly premium of $314.98.
Bob Walker, superintendent, recommended the district fully fund the $1,000 deductible plan. Employees will have the opportunity to buy up to the $250 deductible plan. The district will deposit $30.40, which is the difference between the $1,000 deductible plan and the $2,500 deductible plan premiums, into a Health Savings Account for employees who choose the higher deductible.
The board approved Walker's recommendation and the voted to offer the three insurance plans.
In new business, the board reviewed two bid proposals for a new bus and a pair of proposals for a used bus. The district received the following bids: $74,150, Allied Bus Sales, of Nixa, new bus; $79,540, Midwest Bus Sales, of Bonner Springs, Kan., new buss; $61,000, American Bus Sales, Owasso, Okla., used bus with 40,000 miles; and $55,000, National Bus Sales, of Tulsa, Okla., used bus with between 40,000 and 50,000 miles.
The board voted to purchase one of the used buses after both have been inspected by the district's transportation director.
The school board has received a diesel grant, which will reimburse the district for 25 percent of the cost to purchase a new bus next year.
In other business, the Southwest R-5 School Board:
* Accepted the resignations of Paul Cunningham, special education teacher, and Jane Hobbs, custodian.
* Voted to employ Brenna Zucca as a fourth grade teacher, Carrie Shrum as a custodian and Kayla Eagan as a substitute custodian.
* Approved the summer school proposal.
* Reviewed the district's current equipment needs.
* Received an update on summer maintenance projects.
* Approved the program evaluation plan for the 2011-12 school year.
* Heard administrative reports.