Southwest approves faculty resignation, retirement
The Southwest R-5 School Board approved the resignation of one faculty member and recognized the retirement of another at its regularly scheduled meeting on March 17.
Debra Butcher, fifth grade teacher, submitted a letter of resignation, and Joe Smith, elementary art teacher, will retire at the end of the 2010-11 school year.
In other business, the Southwest R-5 School Board:
* Approved the 2011-12 school calendar. Classes will begin on Aug. 11.
* Voted to purchase three semi-automatic emergency defibrillators for $1,348.25.
* Amended the 2010-11 school year budget.
* Approved the Southwest Area Career Center contract for work experience program services.
*Reviewed the health services program report and administrative reports.
* Approved the non-binding estimated tax levies of $2.75 for operational and 85 cents for debt service.
* Scheduled the board's budget study session to be held at 7 p.m. on April 25.