Chills, thrills and family fun
The Cassville Area Chamber of Commerce and local businesses will be hosting the annual Trick-or-Treat Around the Square event on Friday, Oct. 29.
Little ghosts and goblins are invited to gather at the chamber parking lot at 3:30 p.m. The lot is located behind the chamber office at 504 Main St.
Cassville Police Chief Dana Kammerlohr will lead the trick-or-treaters around the square from their starting point at the chamber. Merchants will not distribute candy until Chief Kammerlohr has passed their business.
Small children must be escorted by an adult at all times, and adults are prohibited from wearing masks during the parade. Merchants interested in participating in this event should contact the chamber office at 847-2814.
Other Halloween events
* Downtown Purdy will be the site of a Haunted House, which opened on Oct. 15. The Halloween attraction is sponsored by the Purdy High School senior class and is located next to the Purdy Post Office. The Haunted House will be open on Oct. 22, Oct. 23, Oct. 29, Oct. 30 and Oct. 31 from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. each night.
* Area residents can find thrills and chills at the Exeter Corn Maze and Haunted Barn located three and a half miles south of Exeter on Highway MM. The attraction is open on Friday and Saturday nights from 7 to 11 p.m. For more information, call 846-3960.
* The Seligman Fire Protection District will be hosting its 13th annual Spook Trail on Oct. 22, Oct. 23, Oct. 29 and Oct. 30. The trail, which is located on State Line Road west of Seligman, is open from 8 p.m. until midnight. Concessions are available, and alcohol is not allowed on the premises.
* A Fall Festival Fund-raiser will be held the night before Halloween beginning at 5:30 p.m. in the Wheaton City Park. Sponsored by the Wheaton Historical Society and Wheaton Depot Museum, the event will include a costume contest with cash prizes, mule-drawn wagon rides, a bon fire, games, food, an auction and karaoke. For more information about the festival, call Donna Youngblood at 417-652-3590 or 417-312-0451.
* The Corn MAiZE in Verona will be in operation on Wednesdays and Fridays, opening at 5 p.m., and on Saturday, Oct. 30, beginning at noon. The "haunted maize" will be in operation after dark, beginning around 7 p.m. The Haunted Trail Ride will be open as well. Regular features like courtyard games, hayrides, the movie ride and the Little Kernel corn rides will be offered each day with the price of admission.