Cassville R-IV School District Superintendent Jim Orrell will retire his post at the end of the 2009-10 school year.
Orrell made public his plans to retire from a 33-year career in education when he submitted a formal letter of resignation to members of the Cassville R-IV School Board at their Aug. 13 meeting.
"I have kept the board in tune with my plans for the future, especially over the past year, and my resignation did not come as a surprise to the board," said Orrell. "There's nothing that's come up or anything particular to this point in time. My intention is to retire and pursue private interests."
Orrell's interests involve returning to his family's farm between Buffalo and Camdenton and beginning a beef cattle operation.
"My mother still lives on the farm and my dad passed away several years ago," said Orrell. "I travel there often on the weekends, and as my mom is getting older, I'd like to be up there."
When Orrell completes his final year as superintendent, he will have spent 23 years in the Cassville R-IV School District. He was first hired as a basketball coach and then moved into administration where he served as assistant high school principal and middle school principal before accepting the superintendency 10 years ago.
"I've really accomplished all I set out to accomplish," said Orrell. "Academics are going great, facilities are in great shape and extracurricular activities are going well.
"Cassville (R-IV School) is a wonderful place to work and a great place for kids to get an education, and it was that way when I took over," Orrell added.
Orrell said he submitted his resignation before the start of the 2009-10 school year to give the board plenty of time to fill the position.
The opening will be posted internally first, and the board will begin accepting letters of interest from current school employees interested in the position.
"I will be working the entire 2009-10 year so there will be no changes there," said Orrell.
In other business handled at their Aug. 13 meeting, the school board members:
* Approved the 2009-10 district discipline policies as submitted by building principals.
* Accepted the A+ Advisory Committee's recommendation to change the minimum grade point average for A+ eligibility from 7.0 to 6.875 beginning with the 2010 graduating class. The change brings the minimum GPA in line with the state's requirements.
* Adopted a local tax rate levy of $3.27, which includes $2.95 for operations and 32 cents for debt service.
* Heard reports on summer maintenance projects, fall sports, Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) status and grant status as presented by Joe Cavness, Jerry Lyall, Coy Dalton, Terry Jamieson, Richard Asbill and Jim Orrell.
* Employed the following substitute teachers: Laura Allen, Sallianne Allen, James Anderson, Lindsey Banks, Martha Berry, Jennifer Brattin, Jina Brown, Karen Brown, Kenneth Brown, Neal Brown, Craig Burford, Sabina Chapman, Angel Christy, Caleb Clayton, Laura Clotfelter, Thomas Coenen, Diana Cossairt, Lana Couch, Sue Craig, Klint Criqui, Jonathan Cross, Gary Davis, Deanna Day, Rex Day, Doug Edwards, Sheri Epling, Savannah Essary, Patricia Evans, Patricia Ewing, Jack Farrow, Sharon Farrow, Ernest Freeman, Sharon Frost, James Garrison, Leveta Goldin, Matthew Gonzales, Donna Gracy, Ardith Graves, Steven Graves, Carol Griffin, Dove Haney, Delores Hare, Walt Hasler, Toni Hayes, Rita Hightower, Bettie Holman, Paula Holtzman, Kimberly Holz, Shanna Hoppie, Darla Horner, Sheryl Howerton, Stephanie Jacobson, Kimberly Kammu, Rosario Keele, Curtis Keen, Julie Kelley, Karla Kuklaw, Sharon Lambert, Peter Landstad, Angela Laney, Nathaniel Ledgerwood, Julie Linebarger, Dawn Long, Daniel Looney, John Lueckenhoff, Steve Lyons, Angie Maiwald, Cathy May, Bart McMaster, Becky McNaught, Sarah Miner, Sarah Moore, John Murphy, Kristin Nama, Stacy Nelson, Judith Olson, Penny Pack, Kim Patrick, Rita Planchon, Carl Pyper, Kathy Quinlan, Erin Rascon, Susan Richardson, Angela Robinson, Rita Rogers, Melissa Ryan, Laura Sanders, Christine Shepherd, Steven Shiveley, Bridget Shupp, Sally Sick, Vaughn Smith, Christina Spinks, Katherine Steinbach, Kirstin Stettnisch, Travis Stokes, Deborah Stoops, Della Stouder, Greg Stringer, Dana Switzner, Lewis Tilley, Burl Towler, John Urban, Noemi Urbina-Rupp, Melissa Vinyard, Karen Wahl, David Wallace, Aaron Weatherford, Vera Weston-Draper, Jennifer Whisenhunt, Arlene Williams, Deborah Wobker, Richard Worman and Tammie Wormington.