This year, the chamber moved the event from Roaring River State Park to the Square and the change was a positive one, according to Chamber Executive Director Amy White.
"We had twice as many spectators as we usually do at the park," said White. "People told me they drove by, saw the show and stopped. I think it went wonderfully."
The Cassville merchants also benefited from a downtown car show. Many of the local business owners reported that the car show meant more business at their locations.
"The merchants really seemed excited to have so many people on the square," White said.
"I have not had a single bad comment (about moving the car show to the square)," said Larry Daniels, who serves as co-chairman of the car show committee with Darrin Jacobs. "Everyone just seems tickled to death with the new location. We've had a lot of compliments."
The highlight of the show was the awards announcement, which took place mid-afternoon. A list of car show winners is listed below.
* Showstopper Award, sponsored by Baywash car wash: Mike Rose, Bentonville, Ark., 1957 Chevy Belair.
* Best Orphan (no longer produced), sponsored by Cassville Auto Body: Buzz and Charlotte Houston, Garfield, Ark., 1972 Oldsmobile 442 convertible.
* Best Interior sponsored by Shumaker Tire: Don Erickson, Shell Knob, 1966 Plymouth Barracuda.
* Best Paint sponsored by Vollenweider Metals: Jim McMillen, Bella Vista, Ark., 1965 Chevy Corvette Coupe.
* Most Unique sponsored by Gautney's: Mike Harris, Pea Ridge, Ark., 1969 Dodge Charger (General Lee).
* Best Engine sponsored by Ken's Collision: Don and Judy Freeman, Vinita, Okla., 1967 Chevy Nova SS.
* Best Import sponsored by Carquest: Michael Brookshire, Jenkins, 1964 Rolls Royce.
* City of Cassville Mayor's Award: Harold and Gretchen Richart, Nixa, 1963 Chevy Impala.
* Largest Car Club sponsored by B & K Auto: Northwest Arkansas Corvette Club.
* Favorite motorcycle ($500 cash award) sponsored by Cassville Motor Inn: three-way tie between Joe and Janet Wierschem, Cassville, 1957 Cushman Eagle three-wheeler, Rick and Shirley Sizemore, Cassville, 2004 750 Honda Shadow Trike, and Terry and Linda Luney, Eagle Rock, 1967 Harley Davidson Trike.
* Dogwood Dozen: Jesse Watson, Henryetta, Okla., 2009 Dodge Challenger; Roger Bandy, Verona, 1968 Chevy Corvette; Kathy Henry Cassville, 1969 Chevy Chevelle SS 396; Preston and Betty Owens, Eureka Springs, Ark., Ford Mustang convertible; John and Ruth Verbrugge, of Eagle Rock, 2008 Ford Mustang GT500KR; Billy Ellis, of Cassville, 1977 Plymouth Road Runner; Richard Auernheimer, of Cassville, 1922 Ford Roadster; Ron and Barb Downs, Bella Vista, Ark., 1972 Chevy Chevelle; Mike Hopkins, Aurora, 1950 Chevy pickup; Mike Rose, Bentonville, Ark., 1957 Chevy Belair HT; Michael Bennett, Verona, 2001 Chevy Silverado; and Harold and Gretl Henruchart, Nixa, 1963 Supersport Chevy Impala.
Winners in the various car show categories will appear in a separate article in next week's issue of the Cassville Democrat.
Members of this year's Dogwood Car and Truck Festival Committee included: chairmen Darrin Jacobs and Larry Daniels; Dr. Dale Assing; Kenny and Perryleanne Lingle; Misha Blakeley; Virgil Harrington; Raylene Hart; Jenny Larson; and Chamber President Richard Asbill.
Car show volunteers were: Scott Bryan, Dennis Baker, Les Jacobs and Jim Stephens.
The 2009 car show sponsors included: Walmart of Cassville; Brattin Insurance; Willis Insurance; Security Abstract; Les Jacobs Ford Mercury; Freedom Bank; Shelter Insurance; Commerce Bank; First State Bank; Security Bank; Vollenweider Metals; Gautney's Garage; Ken's Collision Center; Baywash car wash; B & K Auto Body; Carquest; Cassville Auto Body; Shumaker Tire; Hutchens Construction; Arning Canopy Systems; Fastrip; Cassville Democrat; Barry County Advertiser; and Cassville Motor Inn.