Cassville youth give back
Over 50 local students and adults participated in Cassville Community 2000's second annual Youth Service Day on April 25. Participants represented nine Cassville High School organizations.
Students and adults who participated in the Youth Service Day picked up trash along the trails in Roaring River State Park. The volunteers also collected trash from stream banks, parking lots, campgrounds, around the spring and hatchery and at the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Lodge.
"I feel the event turned out well," said Michele Holenda, Cassville Community 2000 SPF SIG project assistant director. "We had nice weather and everyone was very willing to help with whatever needed to be done. We were excited about the turnout."
After completing the three-hour workday, participants were rewarded with a noon barbecue. Cassville Police Chief and Cassville Community 2000 Chairman Lonnie McCullough grilled hotdogs for the group.
"I commend the students for giving up their Saturday morning for this worthwhile event," said Holenda. "Without the dedication and hard work of these outstanding youth, this event would not have been possible.
"This group of students has set a great example for their peers, and we are very proud of the commitment and many hours these students give each year in community service hours," said Holenda.
Students and adults who participated are listed below by organization.
* Cassville Community 2000: Jahana Hamilton, Timmarie Hamilton, Michele Holenda, Jennifer Luckey, Connie McCullough, Lonnie McCullough and Kati Rose.
* FBLA: Keri Stubbs.
* FCCLA: Brooke Elliott, Janet Sullivan and Laurin Wisrock.
* FFA: Liz Haney, Devon Henderson, Trevor Hobbs, Amanda Holder, Darren Nance and Marissa Tucker.
* FTA: Mercedes Brink, Stephanie Marshall, Stephanie Atkinson and Jessica Hodges.
* NHS: Brandy Johnson, Ceng Lee, Cheyann Essley, Mai Thao, Layne Rose, Kyra Asbury, Jessica Meadows and Jacob Roller.
* SADD: Tanya Chappell, Jessica Holenda, Katie McGilvray, Kayla Mallory, Alissa Barker, Alana Barker, AJ Frana, Merica Xiong, Breck Reed, Mona Burbridge, Mikhaila Burbridge, Kevin Miller and Elaine Boles.
* Spanish Club: Tasha Gunkel, Rachel Michael, Paige Lynxwiler, Pationce Wright and Telisha Padilla.
* Southwest Missouri Drug Task Force: John Luckey.
* Young Republicans: Deanna Jo Privett.
Although they are not members of any local organizations, Chase Norman and Kyle Dupont also participated in the Youth Service Day.