CPD participates in DWI crackdown
Cassville Police officers will be cracking down on drunk drivers this week and next during a special driving while intoxicated enforcement effort.
Cassville and other police departments statewide are participating in a "You Drink and Drive You Lose" campaign that began Dec. 8 and will continue through Sunday, Dec. 14.
"It's never worth the risk to drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs," said Police Chief Lonnie McCullough. "Drivers could lose their license, pay large fines, or worst of all, cause a tragic loss of life."
In Missouri during 2007, 243 people died in more than 7,700 alcohol-related traffic crashes, which equates to a death or injury every 1.7 hours.
To help drivers make wise choices during the holiday season, which often involves parties and alcohol, Chief McCullough offers the following tips.
* Don't drink if you plan to drive.
* Encourage safe driving behaviors among family, friends and co-workers.
* Choose a designated driver before going out.
* Ask a friend to drive you home.
* Provide alcohol-free beverages if you are hosting a party.
* Report impaired drivers to law enforcement immediately.
* Wear your seat belt; it's the best defense against an impaired driver.
"We are all part of the solution," said Chief McCullough.