Wheaton hires staff
The Wheaton R-III School Board hired five new staff members and approved two stipends at its regularly scheduled meeting on Aug. 21.
After an executive session to discuss personnel, the board hired Margie Aeverman as a pre-school aide, Dede Ball as a Title I aide and Terri Priest, TJ Brown and Brandon Treadwell as assistant coaches.
Extra duty stipends were approved for Connie Banks and Melissa Hayslip. Banks will serve as the district's student information system administrator and Hayslip will serve as reading coach during the 2008-09 school year.
A motion to hire Heather (Goostree) Senseney as a vocational agricultural aide was also narrowly approved. Board members Doug Goostree and Dan Goostree abstained and Lewis Royer voted against hiring Senseney.
In other business, the Wheaton R-III School Board:
* Set the operating levy at $2.75 and the debt service levy at 68 cents for the 2008-09 school year.
* Voted to accept sealed bids for surplus items instead of hosting a surplus auction.
* Heard administrative reports, which included enrollment and back-to-school information.
At its regularly scheduled meeting on July 17, the Wheaton School Board:
* Accepted the resignation of Tabitha Holmes, pre-school aide.
* Approved a Southwest Area Career Center contract that will allow a Wheaton student to attend the Center's work experience program during the 2008-09 school year.