Barton's Lumber is Shell Knob continues to serve as a household hazardous waste facility.
According to Sheila House, executive director of the Shell Knob Chamber of Commerce, there are some rumors circulating in the area that the facility is not open.
"The facility is open but hazardous chemicals can only be accepted by those trained to receive them," said House. "Therefore, an appointment is necessary but can easily be obtained by contacting Eddie or Jerry at 417-858-6123."
Barton's serves as a permanent facility where citizens
in Barry County and surrounding areas can dispose of their household chemical waste.
The site opened this summer thanks to a grant from the District N Solid Waste Board. A cargo container is located at Barton's, which allows for the year-round collection of materials.
The following items are accepted at the site:
* Household products such as cleaners, furniture polish, drain opener, disinfectant and floor wax;
* Automotive products such as antifreeze, brake fluid, batteries, degreaser, diesel fuel, kerosene, transmission fluid and old fuels;
* Lawn and garden products such as pesticides and fertilizers;
* Home improvement products such as oil-based paint, paint thinner, paint stripper, stain, varnish and wood preservatives;
* And miscellaneous products such as photography chemicals, swimming pool chemicals, smoke detectors, thermometers, Ni-cad batteries and boat and car batteries.
Latex paint is not accepted at the facility, because it can be safely disposed of in a landfill.
For more information or to make an appointment to drop off household hazardous waste items, call 417-858-6123.