On Aug. 13, the Exeter R-VI School Board heard that the district has been identified for year one school improvement due to its adequate yearly progress (AYP) report.
"Our scores in communication arts (on the Missouri Assessment Program tests) were not high enough to meet the annual proficiency target," said Superintendent Tina Nolan. "We are in stage one of school improvement, which means that we as a district have to submit a district improvement plan that will target our areas of need. We are currently in the process of formulating that plan.
"Many other districts have gone into school improvement, and then through focused efforts, have been able to come out of school improvement," said Nolan. "Our goal is to use strategic planning and then implement that plan to increase student achievement and pull us out of school improvement."
In addition to writing an accountability plan, the Exeter R-VI School District will be required to notify parents that the district has been identified for year one school improvement.
In other business, the Exeter R-VI School Board:
* Hired Robert and Shanna Hoppie to photograph students and staff members for the 2008-09 annual.
* Heard administrative reports, which included information on enrollment.
* Set the 2007-08 school year operating levy at $3.43 and the debt service at 65 cents.
* Approved a $279,874.21 payment to Springfield Builder's Incorporated (SBI).
* Employed Susie Johnson and Tonya Wogoman as substitute teachers.
* Accepted fuel bids from Barry County Farmer's Co-op and L & L and a milk bid from Hiland Dairy.
* Approved the 2007-08 annual secretary of the board report (ASBR).
* Authorized administrators to purchase a credit recovery program that will assist students in fulfilling graduation requirements.