Burning flood debris around Table Rock Lake

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Army Corps of Engineers officials say those who would like to help clean up and burn debris left by flooding on the shoreline of Table Rock lake must first contact the duty ranger for permission and instructions before burning anything on Corps land.

The duty ranger can be reached at 417-334-4101, extension 3018, between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Burning on Corps land without permission is a violation of Title 36 of the US Code of Federal Regulations. Title 36 outlines "Rules and Regulations Governing Public Use of Corps of Engineers Water Resources Development Projects."

After obtaining permission and instructions, residents may pile up driftwood on the shoreline on public land adjacent to their property and burn it. Only loose, downed driftwood along the shoreline may be burned. No standing vegetation may be cut and burned. Heavy equipment is not permitted (i.e. Bobcat, backhoe, tractor, etc.). Prior to burning, individuals must contact the local fire department for any warnings against burning and to notify them of the planned burn.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: