R-IV board approves salary increase
The Cassville R-IV School Board voted Thursday night to raise teachers' salaries and to accept a bid for construction of a new fieldhouse.
School board members voted unanimously to increase the teachers' base salary to $31,000 a year, which is an increase of $1,000. The board also voted to increase the district experience increment to $450 for each year of teaching. For the 11th year, that increment would increase to $600.
This salary increase was in line with the request submitted by members of the Cassville Community Teach-ers Association's Salary and Welfare Committee at last month's school board meeting.
The R-IV Board also reviewed bids for construction of a new fieldhouse, which were presented by architect Gary Barbee. The district received three bids for the project and accepted the low bid from Wehr Construction, LLC.
Wehr submitted a base bid of $1,087,000 while Branco Enterprises and R.E. Smith Construction submitted bids of $1,160,000 and $1,120,000 respectively.
In addition, the board approved two alternate bids totalling $65,200 to bring the total project cost to $1,152,000, which is $148,000 less than the $1,300,000 the board budgeted for the project.
One of the alternate bids in the amount of $37,700 will supply 74 metal lockers for the facility and $27,500 will provide metal liner panels on top of a masonry wall to complete the interior finish of the building.
The 13,000-square-foot facility will be built near the southeast corner of the football field below the elementary playground.
"We want to be sure people understand that this is a multipurpose facility not just a fieldhouse," said school board member Danny Buchanan.
According to Superintendent Jim Orrell, the fieldhouse will contain upstairs and downstairs locker rooms, offices, a physical therapy room, a meeting room, storage space and a large, open practice area.
In addition to being used by the football team, the fieldhouse will provide the primary school with a place for its physical education classes. The facility also will be used by various sports teams for an indoor practice area during inclement weather.
Construction on the fieldhouse will begin immediately. Wehr Construction has 240 days to complete the project. Once the new fieldhouse is complete, the old fieldhouse will be used by Cassville Middle School and as a locker room for visiting teams.
In other business, the board:
* Voted to set administrators' salaries as follows: Superintendent Jim Orrell, $96,250; Director of Operations Joe Cavness, $79,700; Director of Instructional Services Richard Asbill, $79,700; High School Principal Brad Hanson, $78,900; Middle School Principal Eric White, $66,900; Intermediate School Principal Jill LeCompte, $69,750; Primary School Principal Catherine Weaver, $70,875; Assistant High School Principal Terry Jamieson, $64,125; Assistant Middle School Principal Coy Dalton, $59,500; and Director of Special Services Amy Stephenson, $59,500.
* Accepted the resignations of Geri Houston, first grade teacher, Jim Genzler, high school teacher, and Mike Ray, high school teacher.
* Voted to employ Jonathan Winslow as high school history teacher, Derek Judd as special education teacher, John Mareth as vocational agriculture teacher, Katie Lewis as primary teacher and Diane Linebarger as Title 1 reading teacher. Winslow will also serve as assistant high school basketball coach and assistant soccer coach.
* Increased substitute teacher pay to $90 a day for regular substitutes and $100 a day for Cassville R-IV certified retirees.
* Voted to fund half of Public Education Officer Jim Stepp's salary and benefits for the 2008-09 school year. The school provides half of Stepp's employment costs, which will cost the district $21,667 in the coming year. The City of Cassville pays the other half.
* Voted to award a bid to Hammond and Moore Excavating in the amount of $49,600 for construction of an exterior groundwater removal system for the new intermediate school. The board also okayed a $46,800 bid from Lacey Brothers Construction for installation of an interior drainage pump system at the intermediate school.
* Approved a price quote from Miracle Recreation Equipment in the amount of $56,399 for equipment for the new intermediate school playground. The playground will also include a basketball court and fencing.
* Approved a resolution authorizing the escrow of funds in the amount of $75,000 to pay a portion of the district's outstanding general obligation bonds.
* Accepted an attendance report submitted by Cavness. During the 2007-08 school year, the district's combined attendance percentage was 94.69 percent with an average daily attendance of 1,825.11 students. Cassville Interme-diate School recorded the highest attendance percentage of any of the district's five buildings with a 95.45 percent attendance rate. Cavness also provided the board with a five-year attendance history and a detailed attendance analysis that provided grade-by-grade and month-by-month statistics.