Murder case set to go to trial in 2008

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Two-year-old murder case will be tried by Stone County jury

By Lisa Schlichtman

Two years ago on the evening of Dec. 11, 2005, deputies with the Barry County Sheriff's Department were dispatched to a home in Exeter where a shooting had occurred. When the officers arrived, they found Kevin Madison, 45, dead in the front yard with a bullet hole in his forehead.

Also present at the scene was Madison's on-again, off-again girlfriend, Adella Fae Patton, who was ultimately charged with second degree murder and armed criminal action in connection with Madison's death. Patton is accused of shooting Madison outside her home following an argument over deer meat.

The two-year-old case is scheduled to go to jury trial in Stone County Circuit Court on Sept. 22-26 and Nov. 21, 24, 25 and 26, 2008. Patton, 47, is currently free on $250,000 bond awaiting trial.

The case against Patton encountered delays last year when Patton was transferred from the Barry County Jail to Fulton State Hospital for treatment as directed by the Missouri Division of Mental Health. After five months of treatment, Patton was released from Fulton and ruled competent to assist with her own defense.

Since Patton was first arrested in December of 2005, her attorney, John Lewright, of Cassville, has claimed that Patton shot Madison in self defense.

During a bond reduction hearing held on Dec. 22, 2005, Lewright told the court that Madison had spent time in prison for assaulting Patton in the past. He also presented photographs of Patton taken after her arrest for allegedly murdering Madison. Those photos showed bruise marks on Patton's face and chest.

Barry County Prosecutor Johnnie Cox has introduced the testimony of four witnesses who said they heard Patton threaten to shoot Madison prior to his death. Cox said Patton was angry with Madison for travelling to Arkansas with another woman.

In an affidavit of probable cause filed by Barry County Detective Robert Evenson, Patton and Madison were arguing outside Patton's home on Dec. 11, 2005, when according to Patton, Madison hit her. Patton proceeded to go into her house where she retrieved a revolver.

Patton told the detective that she fired one round over Madison's head, and when he came toward her, she fired another round. During this exchange, one of the bullets struck Madison in the forehead.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: